Spotlight On Our District
Gulf Shores City Schools celebrated a huge accomplishment Tuesday morning with the presentation of the Green Ribbon School District award. The district is one of eleven districts in the entire country to receive this honor. State Superintendent of Education Dr. Eric Mackey made the trip to present the award. Gulf Shores City Schools receives Green Ribbon School District award
- Officials from the U.S. Department of Education and Alabama State Superintendent Dr. Eric Mackey will be on hand to present the federal Green Ribbon Award to Gulf Shores City Schools. State Superintendent To Award GSHS The Green Ribbon
- Next up on WKRG’s “33 Teams in 33 Days” spring special is the Gulf Shores Dolphins. 33 Teams in 33 Days: Gulf Shores Dolphins
- The Gulf Shores High School boys and girls soccer programs are preparing for the Class 5A state semifinals this week. This year marks the first time in school history either team has reached the final four. Gulf Shores High School boys, girls soccer reach Final 4 for 1st time
- When the Alabama High School Athletic Association’s soccer state tournament opens the semifinal round in Huntsville May 11, six teams will represent Baldwin County three each in the girls’ and boys’ brackets. Fairhope, St. Michael girls’, Daphne, Bayside Academy boys’, both Gulf Shores teams in soccer semifinals
- The Wharf announced today that Kaysheri Haffner — a senior at Gulf Shores High School — was awarded The Wharf Scholarship in the amount of $10,000. The Wharf awards $10,000 scholarship to Gulf Shores High School senior
Amanda Talantis, Hospitality & Tourism and Spanish teacher at Gulf Shores High School, has been selected as Secondary Teacher of the Year, and is one of 16 state finalists for Alabama Teacher of the Year. If selected as one of the top four state finalists for Teacher of the Year, Talantis will go onto the next round of the competition, with the winner announced at a banquet on May 10. Gulf Shores High School teacher Amanda Talantis selected as Secondary Teacher of the Year and state finalist for Alabama Teacher of the Year
- With a 4.0 grade point average and a 32 score on her ACT, Gulf Shores High School senior Kaysheri Haffner has a lot to be proud of. She also has $10,000 to help pay for college, thanks to The Wharf Scholarship. Gulf Shores senior wins $10K scholarship from The Wharf
The field at Gulf Shores Middle School was buzzing with excitement as the annual Gulf Shores High School Earth Day fair took place on April 21. The event was open to all Gulf Shores City School students, and elementary students were encouraged to invite family members to experience all Mother Earth has to offer. Gulf Shores hosts annual Earth Day fair
- Gulf Shores City Schools students have the opportunity to learn about marine life, up close and personal as they have just added a scuba diving course. Jessica Sampley with Gulf Shores City Schools came up with the idea. Gulf Shores City Schools adding scuba diving course
- High school class will finish by the end of April, GSES and GSMS students begin classes in May. By the end of April, seven students at Gulf Shores High School and Gulf Shores Middle School Assistant Principal, Brittney Reeves, will receive open water scuba certification through a grant program paid for by Gulf Coast Resource, Conservation and Development Council. In May, a group of about 16 elementary and middle schoolers from Gulf Shores will complete the same training along with three teachers, this time paid for with a different grant, the Alabama Career Tech Middle Grades STEM Grant.
- The Alabama State Department of Education named sixteen 2023-24 finalists for state Teacher of the Year Wednesday. Amanda Talantis, Gulf Shores High School selected District 1: Secondary Teacher of the Year
Interested in serving on the Gulf Shores City Schools Board of Education? The city recently announced they will be accepting applications for an open position until April 7. According to Gulf Shores City Schools, the selected applicant will serve a five-year term, which is set to begin on June 1. Gulf Shores City Schools seeks new board of education member
- Gulf Shores High School has its new boys’ basketball coach in Jimbo Tolbert, who brings over 20 years of high school and college coaching experience as well as 261 career wins to the Dolphins, the school announced. Former Spanish Fort basketball coach Tolbert named Gulf Shores’ next head man
The future of hospitality and tourism in Gulf Shores is bright and looking through green-colored glasses. On Wednesday, March 15, students in the Gulf Shores High School hospitality and tourism program welcomed the community to campus for a Farm to Table Harvest dinner and a peek inside the "Small Town, Big Garden" program. The evening was put into the hands of 60 students who planned and created everything from recipe development and cooking to growing the produce and design of the signage. Gulf Shores High students' Farm to Table event showcases hospitality and tourism program
- Congratulations to our GSES first grade teacher, Mrs. Tiffanie Deese, for being named a WKRG Golden Apple Award Teacher!
- GULF SHORES ELEMENTARY IS A BLUE RIBBON SCHOOLS OF EXCELLENCE LIGHTHOUSE SCHOOL!Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence is an organization that uses a comprehensive approach for school improvement. There are nine categories that the organization focuses on when they come to evaluate a school. To be named a Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence Lighthouse School, a school has to score an 80% or higher in every category. The categories evaluated are listed below:
Student Focus and Support
Active Teaching and Learning
Leadership and Educational Vitality
School Organization and Culture
School, Family, and Community Partnerships
Challenging Standards and Curriculum
Indicators of Success
This process includes surveys taken by all faculty/staff, students who are in 3rd grade and up, and parents. In addition, onsite interviews were conducted with a parent/community focus group, student focus group, and faculty/staff focus group. Two days were spent visiting classrooms, as well as evidence was shared with the evaluation team. This allowed reports and recommendations to be made to the Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence Board regarding our status of being named a Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence Lighthouse School. We are so proud for all our students, faculty and staff, parents and community!
Go Dolphins! MakeWaves!
- “Being acknowledged as a Green Ribbon School is a testament to out district’s commitment to our core values and providing a learning atmosphere that is innovative and environmentally friendly,” said Gulf Shores City Schools Superintendent Dr. Matt Akin. Gulf Shores City Schools recognized for environmental education
Gulf Shores City Schools has a green thumb and now a green ribbon. The city school district announced Monday it was selected as a recipient of the 2023 Alabama Green Ribbon Schools Award. The award recognizes schools that nurture and promote environmental sustainability education and practices. GSCS is the only district to receive this award across the state and is now nominated to receive the national Green Ribbon School award from the U.S. Department of Education which will be awarded this summer. Gulf Shores City Schools only in state named 2023 Alabama Green Ribbon School District
Gulf Shores City Schools (GSCS) is excited to announce that it was selected as a recipient of the 2023 Alabama Green Ribbon Schools Award. The award recognizes schools that nurture and promote environmental sustainability education and practices. GSCS is the only district to receive this award across the state and is now nominated to receive the national Green Ribbon School award from the U.S. Department of Education which will be awarded this summer. GSCS Named 2023 Alabama Green Ribbon School District
- While high school science lessons often involve dissection, Gulf Shores students find themselves busy juggling clubs, everyday life as a teenager and raising baby oysters. Students in the Alabama Gulf Coast school's environmental science class spend their year with the mollusks, collecting data to counteract over-fishing. Gulf Shores High School students partner with Auburn to build up closed oyster reefs
- Congratulations to Sophie Carlson & Sami Ward who attend GSHS! — You are BOTH #SBAwesome! Thank you for your outstanding customer service! Sophie & Sami with Chicken Salad Chick were surprised by our Prize Patrol team and recognized for going "above & beyond with a caring and positive attitude" at work. Thank you both for your OUTSTANDING customer service!
A big #ShoutOut to our presenting sponsor – 5 Star Air Conditioning!
Gift certificates courtesy of RJs Seamless Gutters & More.
Want to know more about the #SBAwesome program? Visit bit.ly/SBAwesome and find out how YOU can nominate someone with outstanding customer service skills! South Baldwin Chamber of Commerce #SB Awesome
- The Gulf Shores Dolphins staked claim to island bragging rights with a 10-0 win over the Orange Beach Makos Friday night at home during the Prep Baseball Report South Alabama Showdown. Gulf Shores wins first baseball meeting with Orange Beach, 10-0
The Council for Leaders in Alabama Schools has selected 32 schools, from across the state, as Schools of Distinction. Congratulations to Gulf Shores High School for The Summer WAVE Program and Gulf Shores Middle School for Health & Wellness in Education. The CLAS School of Distinction Award recognizes school programs that serve as outstanding educational models for other schools in Alabama. These exemplary schools/programs will be recognized at an awards luncheon in May. The CLAS Banner School program was created in 2001 to recognize schools in Alabama that showcase outstanding programs and services to students. 208 school programs were nominated for this prestigious recognition. Class Names 2022 Schools of Distinction
- Gulf Shores High School Wrestling Coach Britt Shaw and wrestler Dathan Butt join AHSAA TV Weekly this week to talk about the State Wrestling Tournament this weekend in Huntsville. Gulf Shores Wrestler Dathan Butt and Coach Britt Shaw join AHSAA TV Weekly
Coastal erosion has been called a silent killer, taking away life on our Gulf Coast beaches. Gulf Shores students team up with 'Dune Doctors' to combat beach erosion
Gulf Shores City Schools, Dune Doctors, US Fish and Wildlife, and the Gulf State Park will host a Planting for Protection (P4P) event for local students to help initiate coastal dunes along the Gulf State Park by installing native dune-building vegetation. Gulf Shores students to build dunes by planting 3,000 sea oats at Gulf State Park
Almost two hundred Gulf Shores students held class on the beach near the Gulf State Park Pier Thursday, February 16th. Their lesson, learning all about the importance of a healthy dune system and planting thousands of sea oats to help protect not only the sand dunes but all of the creatures that call them home. “It’s been great as an educator to see our students take ownership of where they live,” said Jessica Sampley with Gulf Shores City Schools. Gulf Shores students help re-plant and restore dune system
- Something really neat happened Friday at Gulf Shores Elementary school. Gulf Shores Elementary students collect items to give to Selma storm victims
This month's #AASBBoardMemberSpotlight is shining on Kevin Corcoran of Gulf Shores City Schools! Kevin is a longtime advocate for public school education and is committed to the continuous improvement of Gulf Shores schools. Read this month's spotlight to learn more about Kevin Corcoran: https://bit.ly/3RY3wun
- This week is National School Counselor Day spotlighting school counselors on their hard work and dedication. Gulf Shores High School Counselor gets spotlight during National School Counselor Week
Gulf Shores High School’s Sustainability and Hospitality and Tourism academies are putting together a fundraiser for the school’s “Small Town, Big Garden” project. "Farm to Table" event set for March 15 at the school
Former college coach Mark Hudspeth can’t say enough positive things about Gulf Shores’ senior JR Gardner.“What an unselfish player,” Hudspeth said. “JR Gardner is what Gulf Shores football thrives on.” Gulf Shores’ RB/DB JR Gardner headed to T-town, QB Brendon Byrd signs with VMI
- Congratulations Gulf Shores Elementary and Middle Schools! Teaching students how to stay healthy has earned you a Be Healthy School Grant award. Be Healthy School Grant Program
Something really neat happened Friday at Gulf Shores Elementary school. A kids service club ended this week with an act of kindness. It’s an act that will serve a community that needs a little tlc. One by one they walked into the trailer dropping off supplies they brought for tornado victims in Selma. Gulf Shores Elementary students collect items to give to Selma storm victims
7 Things’ with Mark Hudspeth, Gulf Shores High School's head football coach. Mark Hudspeth’s journey to the Alabama Gulf Coast is like and unlike many who now call it home.
- Gulf Shores High School aviation class is soaring. Students are building two planes and enrolled in intro to aviation class.
- The goal is to “make waves,” and if that’s possible for a school system, the Gulf Shores City Schools (GSCS) system has reached that goal. Gulf Shores City Schools leaders give State of the Schools address, touting top 10 ranking in first two years of operation.
- Dolphin wrestling squad has opened season with 13 straight dual victories so far. Britt Shaw recognized for 100 dual match wins with Gulf Shores wrestling.
- Dolphin catcher has already caught 459 innings in two varsity seasons with a .345 batting average. Gulf Shores’ Dominic Maldet cements commitment to Montevallo baseball program.
- Ten individuals, five relay teams earn podium finishes and return to Baldwin County with hardware. Gulf Shores swimmers break records at state championship meet, finish second overall.
- The Gulf Shores City School System is one step closer to addressing overcrowding on its elementary school campus. Gulf Shores moving forward with multi-million-dollar expansion, renovations
- Gulf Shores City Schools has been named the 10th-ranked school system in the state of Alabama out of 145 districts in the most recent Alabama Department of Education State Report Card released earlier this month. Gulf Shores City Schools ranked 10th in state: Alabama Board of Education State Report Card
- Congratulations Faculty, Staff and Students for your hard work! Gulf Shores City Schools Ranked 10th in the State with a Grade of 92! Gulf Shores City Schools earned an “A” on its first-ever state report card. The state report card evaluates many different measures, including graduation rate, chronic absenteeism, and academic achievement. Congratulations to all of our students, teachers, administration and community on helping us continue to #MakeWaves!Alabama's 'A' school districts, ranked 1 to 24 on state report cards
GULF SHORES HIGH SCHOOL getting ready for their first home football playoff game ever!! Crews are bringing in extra bleachers and adding a little pizzazz to the field.
Head Coach of the Dolphins, Mark Hudspeth, said there is no community like Gulf Shores when it comes to support. Gulf Shores Dolphins gearing up for 1st home playoff game in school history
- See what it is like to be a Gulf Shores Dolphin football player on “Game Day! A Day in the Life of a Gulf Shores Dolphin
- Junior running back Ronnie Royal - Player of the Week! Ronnie Royal 11 carries for 135 yards
- According to Maxpreps for 5A rankings GSHS is #5. Gulf Shores High School Dolphins Football is off to a hot start and currently has a 8-1 record.
- Take time for MakeWaves Minutes! You will see exciting things going on at GSCS!
- Congratulations to Assistant Principal Brittney Reeves on earning the 21st Century grant for GSMS! This competitive grant provides our school with $150,000 each year for 3 years for after school and summer programming, and the opportunities our students get to experience through our head programs is phenomenal. Students are hands on with STEAM, Service Learning, Physical Activity, and more every single day. Ms. Reeves has earned over $1.5 million in grants for GSCS - programs, eSports, virtual reality, bikes, culinary classes, Jedi Academy, a rock wall (coming soon!), and the list goes on!
Gulf Shores Middle School after school program receives $150,000 grant
- “One of our core values is health and fitness and we have a committee, that’s been working for over a year, so we are working on eating healthy, exercise, and so it’s not only our kids but it’s our staff as well and today was about involving our community,” Akin said. Gulf Shores students participate in "International Walk to School Day"
View GSCS video "International Walk To School Day"
- The Gulf Shores City School System has launched a new student-teacher program to help prospective educators get their start, and provide another helping hand for local children. Gulf Shores Schools launch student-teacher program, paying for housing
- Gulf Shores City Schools debuted its newest addition, The STEAM Collaborative Learning Center at the elementary school, and it was full of gadgets. New STEAM Collaborative Learning Center
- There is something different about a wing of Gulf Shores Elementary School. The look, the expandable classrooms, even the décor. Future of learning revealed at Gulf Shores Elementary School
- Gulf Shores City Schools partnering with University of South Alabama for student teaching program. This new program will be a great opportunity for future educators.
- Gulf Coast Media - Beachin' has a new Spring 22 (April-June2022) Issue. On page 8, Building Community - Please Keep Off - Dune Restoration Project, spotlights our Gulf State Park naturalists, Dune Doctors, and the teachers and students from Gulf Shores City Schools. Pick up a copy to view how our schools are contributing and making a difference at the beach!
- Officials with Gulf Shores City Schools said they decided to add the lock system as an extra safety precaution. With the magnetic door lock system, a door is locked automatically once a person enters through it. But in cases when a door stays open, an alert is sent as a warning, and action can be taken to get it locked. New magnetic door lock system to be installed in Gulf Shores City Schools
- The new STEAM Collaborative Learning Center at Gulf Shores Elementary School features six-new classrooms, two fully equipped STEAM labs, aquariums and much more. Gulf Shores Elementary School unveils new STEAM Wing
- STEAM Lab at GSES is ready for the new 2022-2023 school year! Thank you to City of Gulf Shores - Municipal Government for GSCS New STEAM Lab at Gulf Shores Elementary School! Without the City's help, none of this would be possible! #makewaves GSES New STEAM Lab
- Communities everywhere are working on new methods to ensure safety within their school system’s including Gulf Shores. Gulf Shores Police Department conducts active shooter training
- The population of Gulf Shores' City Schools continues to increase, and it's putting pressure on the elementary and middle school campuses. Gulf Shores City Schools expanding to address growth, overcrowding
- Summertime for many students and teachers means, "School's out for... summer". At Gulf Shores City Schools, many of our students and teachers have been participating in several awesome camps on GSCS campuses and surrounding areas in Gulf Shores.
Summertime at GSCS
- Spotlight on Innovation: Hangout Music Festival High School Internship Program
- Finalsite showcases Gulf Shores City Schools newly redesigned website.
Gulf Shores City Schools
- Spotlight on Innovation: Seals of Excellence: Capstone Projects
- Spotlight On Innovation: Gulf Shores Elementary Bike Barn
- Spotlight on Innovation: Health Science Academy: Patient Care Technician and Internship
Spotlight on Innovation: Sustainability and Community: "Small Town, Big Garden" Farm to Table Harvest
- Spotlight on Innovation: Navy JROTC
- As Orange Beach seeks to become the 11th Alabama city to secede from its county school system in the past two decades, its neighbor along the coast - Gulf Shores - is planning a massive construction project called “The Next Wave” as it finishes its third year of independence.
As Orange Beach forms Alabama’s newest city school system, Gulf Shores prepares for ‘Next Wave’
- 'We're not just building boxes' Akin says of Gulf Shores school plan! Gulf Shores Superintendent Dr. Matt Akin is watching a plan for renovations and a new high school come together after a long process of studying the improvements since the city took over the schools in 2018.
Officials Hope to Open New High School in 2025
- Spotlight on Innovation: STEAM Makerspace at Gulf Shores Middle School: Turbo Dolphins
On February 22-23, Gulf Shores City Schools partnered with Dune Doctors and Gulf State Park Naturalists to host a Planting for Protection (P4P) Event for 185 students to install roughly 4,000 native dune-building plants and initiate a new row of coastal dunes along the Gulf State Park, AL. Planting for Protection is an educational initiative designed by Dune Doctors to promote coastal resiliency through community-based dune restoration.
Gulf Shores Kids Install 4,000 Native Dune Plants: Planting for Protection at Gulf State Park, Alabama
- Spotlight on Innovation: Volkert Center for Applied Design and the Dream Lab
- Spotlight on Innovation: Sustainability
- The groundwork is in place for the biggest change to Gulf Shores schools since the city broke away from the Baldwin County Public School system nearly 3 years ago.
Gulf Shores reveals multi-million dollar school expansion plan amid growth
- A wave of changes coming to Gulf Shores City Schools, in the form of a new ten-year plan.
Big Changes Coming To Gulf Shores City School
- Spotlight on Innovation: Engineering and Design Student Spotlight: Kevin Ellis
- Around 200 elementary and high school students from Gulf Shores schools headed to the beach to do their part to help the environment and protect the beaches by planting native dune building vegetation near the Gulf State Park Pavilion.
Gulf Shores students help build, protect sand dunes at Gulf State Park
- Spotlight on Innovation: Health Science Academy: Sports Medicine
- Spotlight on Innovation: After School Care: 21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Students leaving elementary school and entering middle school can quickly become overwhelmed with the change.
GSMS helps newcomers to middle school "GEAR Up"
- Spotlight on Innovation: Aviation: Building a Plane 101
- Principal, Kyle McCartney at GSMS recognized as a finalist at the Innovative Leader Awards in Orlando. Congratulations!
Tech & Learning Innovative Leader Awards
- Local partnership creates music lab for Gulf Shores High School
Alabama School Journal/January 2022/ located on page 4
- Gulf Shores City Schools push education outside the box. The newest innovation has students rolling outside of that box.
- Spotlight on Innovation: Sustainability and Community: Small Town, Big Garden Project
- Great Job Kaysheri Haffner! Please help support Helping Hands Gulf Shores February 4th at Big Beach Brewery!
Fairhope 6-year-old fights two rare illnesses; local charity helping family
- Krista Marcum’s GSHS Gulf Coast Ecology students lead the way
Another successful oyster gardening season in Little Lagoon
- Gulf Shores City Schools announced its Teachers of the Year.
- Fifth graders at Gulf Shores Elementary are blazing new trails with their Science by the Shore program.
Gulf Shores Elementary Gets New Bike Barn
- Gulf Shores High School debuted their first Hangout Music Lab Thursday, Nov. 18 to Gulf Shores residents.
Hangout Music Lab preparing future music professionals at Gulf Shores High School
- Gulf Shores City Schools is getting recognized on the national stage for their innovation.
Recognized for strides in Math and Tech
- The Gulf Shores Elementary Kiwanis K-Kids Club recently installed a Blessing Box at Gulf Shores Elementary School.
GSCS installs Blessing Box
Tango Flight program will see students build an airplane.
Gulf Shores City Schools announces Aviation Lab open house