Welcome to Canvas! We are glad you are here. This page has been created for parents and guardians and includes information about Canvas Learning Management System for grades 6-12 and general instructions for using Canvas as a parent/observer.
What is a Learning Management System? A Learning Management System (LMS) is a way to streamline teaching and learning by connecting the digital tools teachers, students and parents use into one place.
Why are teachers in grades 6-12 using Canvas?
Teachers can use Canvas to:
- Receive and grade student assignments, discussions, and quizzes.
- Easily align assignments and rubrics to standards and/or learning objectives.
- Provide students with individualized feedback in the form of written, audio, or video formats directly related to growth or remediation the student needs.
- Organize all work and course-related events into one, drag-and-drop calendar.
- Push course notifications to students via email and text.
Why might a student benefit from working in Canvas?
Students can use Canvas to:
- Access class materials (calendar, assignments, quizzes, etc.) online using any device or any browser.
- Track their progress through ongoing teacher feedback tools.
- Receive course announcements, grade notifications, etc. instantaneously on their preferred device(s).
- Easily collaborate with peers and teachers.
- Receives individualized feedback on assignments.
What can parents do In Canvas?
Parents can see...
- what is going on in the course
- the calendar
- specific feedback that the teacher leaves for each assignment
Parents cannot submit work for the student(s).