Tips For Managing Multiple Children
As a Parent Observer, you have access to a lot of great information, and it can be challenging to navigate the information efficiently, especially if you are actively monitoring the courses of more than one student. Depending on how many students you follow and in how many courses your students are enrolled, the dashboard can become overwhelming. Below are a few tips for managing multiple students under your single Parent Observer account:
- You may adjust the nickname for each course. That way, you can include each child's first initial or name ahead of the course name (ie: K: US History or Kelly: US History).
- Course nicknames appear in the Dashboard, course navigation menu, course breadcrumbs, and notification emails. The nicknames will also appear on the Canvas app.
- The course nickname is only available to the individual user who created the nicknames.
- To access the nickname field, click the three dots in the top right hand corner of the course card.
- Another option is to color code the course cards so all of child #1's courses are one color, all of child #2's courses are a second, etc.
- The color that is shown on the course card is synced with the color shown for the course in the Calendar.
- The course card colors are only available to the individual user who selected the colors.
- To select course card colors, click the three dots in the top right hand corner of the course card.
Canvas Parent App
- While viewing Canvas from a web browser as an Observer gives you very detailed information about the course, the Canvas Parent App allows the Observer to view a student’s course events (calendar) and upcoming assignments, and course announcements.
- The Parent App allows the Observer to view one student’s course information at a time.